Skip to main content

Extended Breastfeeding – a 4.8-year journey

My emotional moment during my breastfeeding journey came when my child stopped feeding at 4.8 years. All these years, he suffered a lot of health issues, mostly respiratory issues. He was diagnosed with childhood asthma (considered common among babies these days). I was advised by my first paediatrician to continue feeding him till he turned 2. Extended breastfeeding helped me tide over his asthma over a period of time, including his dry skin problem. So I can vouch that if you can continue feeding your baby till he/she is two years old, it’s the best health gift for them.

My Journey

Breastfeeding came naturally to me after my son’s birth. I did not have any particular struggles while breastfeeding him – no medical issues/latching problems.

In the beginning, my answers to my friends’ queries as to when am I going to wean him, were quite vague. I had started initially by saying that I would feed him until he turned 2. After he turned two, I changed my answer to 3 years. It was so natural to me that I did not realize I would continue feeding him until he wanted me to feed. When he turned 4.8, he himself told me one day that he didn’t want Amma milk anymore. So, my son self-weaned smoothly, without glitches.


I was always against using traditional techniques of weaning like applying neem oil and some other techniques suggested by people around me then. So self-weaning was always on my mind.

Duration of Feeds

As I am mentoring new mothers these days, a lot of them ask me this question (aiming at when to wean their baby) – does the duration of feeds reduce as they grow? The answer is yes. Babies know how much milk they need and breast milk is tailored as per the nutritional demands of the child. As the child is growing, especially after the age of 1, they start showing more interest in solid foods and the breast milk shifts from being a primary source of nutrition to the secondary one. Solid foods start replacing breast milk gradually. This reduces the duration of feeds as well. Then it becomes feeding on-demand or for comfort. Mothers do not need to time the feeds. The child himself/herself knows and can decide when to stop feeding. This duration differs from child to child.

For me, there was a dip in the duration of feeds. It began with nearly half an hour to one hour and there was a time when he would feed continuously for even three hours. The last time he fed for three hours was when he was two years old. It started reducing when he turned 3. After a point, he only wanted to feed at night and that too for 10 minutes. By the time he was 4.8, this duration was just two to five minutes, that too for comfort. So, the duration of feeds should never be a criterion for a mother deciding to wean her child.

Milk Supply Levels & Stress

Usually, I had heard that stress affects breast milk supply but, in my case, I never checked my milk supply levels and it had not reduced either (my baby was doing good). I was going through a major stress period, perhaps even slight PPD because of issues in my marriage and my ensuing separation. I was surprised I was able to feed and satiate him all through that phase. All I knew was that I was breastfeeding on demand and his pee count was normal. So, this proved another theory wrong: Stress affects breast milk supply levels. It doesn’t! I would say mothers must continue feeding because human milk is tailormade to suit every child.

One Breast Preference

It is natural for babies to develop a preference for only one breast too. When Reyansh had completed 9 months, he stopped feeding on my left breast – showed a preference for the right one (maybe the position was too comfortable for him).  He never showed crankiness or signs of not being satisfied. In fact, at 15 months, his then paediatrician even commented on his being underweight, addressing my toddler (not me!): you have had enough of mommy’s milk and you need cow’s milk! I was cheesed off with her then when she asked me to add lots of ghee and butter in his food – even make payasam (sweetened rice in milk). In fact, I became more determined to take the self-weaning route and changed the doctor. On the way back that day, when my hubby had even asked if I was sure I did not want to wean him now, I gave a monosyllabic reply: NO. I changed my paediatrician and thankfully I came to know about percentiles in babies’ weight. So, he was on the lower percentile and there was really nothing to worry about the “underweight” bit.

I used to attend a lot of parenting meets and by this time, I became actively involved in a parenting community. Seeing all mothers take the self-weaning route, I was super inspired to continue breastfeeding him. This was about my extended breastfeeding journey.



Science behind Extended Breastfeeding

Now comes the scientific bit behind extended breastfeeding. Human milk contains 172 calories vis-a-vis cow's milk which contains 146 calories.  And yet despite the fact that human milk is richer and nutritious than any other animal’s milk, most of our society prefers to advocate cow’s milk for infants and discourages breastfeeding or extended feeding. They probably wouldn’t mind giving biscuits and other junk to infants and toddlers but if you say you are breastfeeding (extended) then there is something abnormal about you instead of the reverse.

Health experts have listed out innumerable benefits of breastfeeding for a longer period for the following reasons:

1. The first obvious one is nutrition for the baby. The composition of breast milk changes with the age of the baby. It is tailor-made to suit the needs of the baby.  So irrespective of the age, gender, race or community, the baby will continue to benefit from appropriate amounts of calcium, protein, fat, and vitamins.

2. The second one is a stronger immune system. In my son’s case, when he was detected with severe skin problems and wheezing, I was advised to continue breastfeeding until he turned 2.  It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the frequency and intensity of wheezing reduced drastically. Even skin problems reduced thanks to medications and breastfeeding. The use of the nebulizers got minimized too.

A report says: “Babies who breastfeed have decreased incidences of illness and lower mortality rates. The immunity benefits improve the longer a baby breastfeeds. The longer you breastfeed, the less likely your baby is to have some of the illnesses that we associate with not breastfeeding, like ear infections and upper respiratory infections.”

3. Mommies are also less likely to have breast cancer, ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer if they breastfeed for a longer period of time. This is not to say that mothers can never contract these illnesses. It just reduces the chances of contracting them.

4. Breastfed babies have shown to have better brain development according to some studies. The reason being babies tend to feed from both breasts in multiple positions. This gives a chance for babies to reach out, touch, smell and look out for their mother when they are feeding. This is different from bottle-fed babies who instinctually tend to feed in the same position – moms use their dominant hand to hold the baby to feed and rarely change positions too.

5. Finally, it is all about comfort. Babies and mothers bond a lot through breastfeeding. It helps soothe babies during illness or when they are experiencing pain or hurt. It increases the emotional bond between the mother and child, which is extremely vital for both, especially the child. It is more of an assurance that the mother is always there for the child.

So, mommies those who are thinking of extended breastfeeding and facing opposition, please take a stand for your baby ‘coz “Mommy knows it the best”!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art of How To - My articles

  Guys, I have happy news to share. I have started writing blogs for "Art of How To" ( https://artofhowto.com /). Chippy Kurian is the Founder and Editor of Art of How To.  We have a strong team of writers now -  https://artofhowto.com/team / Sharing my post links here. Do read, share and subscribe to them. https://artofhowto.com/2022/10/19/5-ways-to-beat-back-to-work-blues/ https://artofhowto.com/2022/10/23/ever-been-gaslit/  https://artofhowto.com/2022/11/08/sway-to-the-beats-and-tunes/ https://artofh owto.com/2022/07/03/hydrate-your-soul/   https://artofhowto.com/2022/06/06/sologamy/ https://artofhowto.com/2022/06/22/do-not-take-your-heart-lightly/ https://artofhowto.com/2022/06/14/please-talk-money/ https://artofhowto.com/2022/05/25/lets-talk-sex/                                                                             https://artofhowto.com/2022/04/24/beat-the-blues-with-music/ https://artofhowto.com/2022/05/18/imperfectly-perfect-moms/ https://artofhowto.com/2022/05/

Push the "Fight, not flight button"!!

September 10 marks World Suicide Prevention day every year! This day began to be observed in 2003. Every individual has either undergone some trauma or been undergoing a bad experience over a period of time.  The pandemic has worsened the situation, isolating people more. Work-from-home jobs, no-socializing, and no-human touch have increased cases of depression, and suicide has become a common buzzword now. Counselling centres are buzzing with ever ringing telephone lines and more people reaching out to counsellors, parenting coaches and life coaches for help. Everyone has been affected - celebs to commoners - none have been spared of depression. Social media is abuzz with videos of experts giving tips on happiness and gurus conducting wellness sessions. Motivational groups have mushroomed on Whatsapp, Telegram and other chat group apps. Motivational quotes are shared daily on Whatsapp statuses and Facebook as a morning and evening ritual. A sense of stagnancy and feeling of being stuc

World Menstrual Hygiene Day 2022

Today's Menstrual Hygiene Day. It is observed on May 28 every year to create awareness in public about good menstrual hygiene management (MHM) at a global level. A Germany based NGO called WASH United started observing this day in 2014 and it has been going on ever since. Developing countries are often faced with a shortage of materials for good menstrual hygiene. Women often get low standard sanitary napkins that may cause rashes in their private parts, leading to serious infections. The day provides an opportunity to actively advocate for the integration of menstrual hygiene management (MHM) into global, national and local policies and programmes. India observed its first MHM summit organized on 26th and 27th September 2019 in New Delhi by Gramalaya, an NGO. The summit saw the participation of 180 plus delegates including 46 speakers, other stakeholders and allies of the Menstrual Hygiene Management Movement. The second MHM summit was organized on 22nd and 23rd March 2022 by Gra